Sunday, January 13, 2013

#19 - Don't Come Around Here No More

Artist: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Album: Southern Accents
Video: Brilliant, from YouTube.  Just ignore the ads.

Which video includes Alice in Wonderland tripping on acid while navigating an M.C. Escher designed rabbit hole?  Truly inspired.

It took me several years before I appreciated Tom Petty, and starting with this tune probably didn't help.  Perhaps I would have felt differently had I been weaned on "You Got Lucky" or "Breakdown", but this song was a bit too subtle for my 1985 tastes.  It wasn't until 1989's "Full Moon Fever" that I became a fan of his work.

And in time, I even came to appreciate "Don't Come Around Here No More".  The understated bass line, the distinctive sitar, the exploration of a relationship ending, and of course the enthusiastic oft-repeated "hey"!  It peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100.  I was surprised to learn that with all of Tom Petty’s hits, he has never had even a top 5 hit (he came closest with “Free Fallin’” at #7).

The song was co-written by Petty and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics (coming up a little later on this countdown).  It was inspired by Stewart's one-night stand with Stevie Nicks.  Apparently the title was her exit line.

The video won the 1985 MTV Video Music Award for Best Special Effects.  Its many highlights include Stewart playing the sitar while smoking atop a giant mushroom, and Tom Petty holding court as the Mad Hatter.  Perhaps the most memorable scene is the terrified heroine turning into a cake and being eaten by all in attendance.  Totally creeped me out as a kid.  Great stuff.

1 comment:

  1. This video really scared me when I was a kid. So much so that I ain't gonna watch it now. Sorry, dude. I mean, even the title is a warning -- if TP says not to come around here no more, well, I'm not gonna.

    ReplyDelete