Saturday, November 24, 2012

#28 - Little By Little

Artist: Robert Plant
Album: Shaken 'n' Stirred
Video: From YouTube.

Robert Plant is the distinguished frontman from Led Zeppelin, one of the most influential and innovative groups in the history of rock ‘n’ roll.  You’d never know it from listening to this song.

Plant released his third solo album “Shaken ‘n’ Stirred” in 1985, not that I noticed.  However, I did enjoy his subsequent solo album, 1988’s “Now And Zen”.  And I probably discovered Led Zeppelin sometime after that.  Zeppelin rules, especially when played loud.

“Little By Little” peaked at a robust #36 on the Billboard Hot 100.  It won’t surprise you to learn that I’m mystified by its high placement in the MTV countdown.  The song did spend two weeks at the top of the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart, so there’s that.

Maybe I’m being too harsh.  In a vacuum the song is actually kind of OK.  The message is optimistic and hopeful, and I guess the rhythm is decent.  But I expect more this deep in the countdown, and I expect more from Robert Plant.

I found the video odd.  Mimes, equestrians, sheep.  A wedding in a small village.  Probably full of deep meaning that I didn’t understand.  But there were also lots of wide open plains, and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment