Saturday, November 17, 2012

#30 - Forever Man

Artist: Eric Clapton
Album: Behind The Sun
Video: From DailyMotion.

Here's another legend whose awesomeness I did not appreciate in 1985.  I did not discover the majesty of Clapton until his MTV Unplugged album was released in 1992.  Even today, I'm really only familiar with a small portion of his catalog.

"Behind The Sun" is one of those albums which completely escaped my attention.  Phil Collins collaborated on many of the songs.  I was blissfully unaware of all this in my youth, content to be entertained by songs like this.

"Forever Man" did not enjoy much mainstream chart success, peaking at #26 on the Billboard Hot 100.  However, it was Eric Clapton's first ever music video.  That might explain its high placement in this countdown.  Clapton finally made a video?  Put it in the top 30.

I vaguely remember hearing the song around the time it was released.  Although I wasn’t a fan then, it strikes me as moderately groovy now.  That opening guitar riff is killer. 

The music video is simply Clapton and the band performing on a large circular stage in an empty arena.  No kooky storyline.  The video was directed by Godley & Creme.  That's right, these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment