Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#38 - Summer Of '69

Artist: Bryan Adams
Album: Reckless
Video: From YouTube.

This is the second time an artist has had back-to-back videos in the countdown.  It will happen twice more before we're all done.

"Summer of '69" is a song that always gets me pumped, right from the driving guitar riff that starts it off.  It conjures up the feeling of the best summer ever, the last one before you're forced to confront the responsibilities of adulthood.  It peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The debate has raged as to whether the song is about the summer of 1969, or the act of 69.  Adams has asserted the latter, but co-writer and longtime Adams collaborator Jim Vallance offers a straightforward interpretation.  The Vallance link includes insights on many other songs the two wrote together, including "Somebody".  I wish I had discovered it early enough to reference in the last post.

The video captures the camaraderie and good times of adolescence.  Hanging out with friends, falling in love, eluding the cops.  Great scenes throughout.  It was nominated for a 1985 MTV Video Music Award for Best Male Video.

Finally, you will notice there is no poll to vote on right now.  I've been having trouble creating a new one, Blogger keeps giving me an unhelpful error message.  I will keep trying though.

Also, I am hopeful that I will be able to post more regularly from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment