Monday, July 2, 2012

#47 - Lovin' Every Minute Of It

Artist: Loverboy
Album: Lovin' Every Minute Of It
Video: From DailyMotion.

What is this “It” which Loverboy is lovin’ every minute of?   Parading down a hallway with a disturbing lack of chest covering?  The lyrics are not helping me understand. They are quite inane.

While this isn't the first appearance of "Loverboy" in this blog, it is the first time this '80s power pop group has been featured.  I always wished that Loverboy would record a song called "Billy Ocean".  Who’s with me?  Anybody?

“Lovin’ Every Minute Of It” peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100.  But the real story is the video.  It is chock full of unintentional comedy.  I was shocked and delighted to find that it included an extended opening which wasn’t originally shown on MTV.

I have no idea when the linked video above was recorded, but it appears to feature Zach Galifianakis from The Hangover.  Obviously not from 1985.  I’m completely bamboozled by this.  I couldn’t find out any information to clear up my befuddlement.

Basically, the extended opening features a Holiday Inn lounge act covering “Working For The Weekend”, in a scene that looks straight out of Pulp Fiction.  Or any David Lynch movie.  The bizarre scene causes Zach to set down his drink and pick up a red push button wall phone (he doesn’t dial).  Cut to the camera zooming in on an open window as the phone rings. 

That’s when the original video seen on MTV in 1985 begins.  God, what a scene.  Loverboy and their groupies, just partying.  Not just partying, it’s the greatest party ever.  Romping through the halls, playing strip poker, everyone leaving chaos in their wake.  Serving drinks is Jenilee Harrison, who played Cindy on “Three’s Company”.  She receives a tip from lead singer Mike Reno in the cleavage of her sexy waitress outfit.  Good for Loverboy.  “Lovin’ Every Minute Of It”, indeed.

5 comments:

  1. You know, I never really watched this video when it first came out. I think it must have been a hit in the fall, when school and football took up my schedule and MTV was relegated to "sometimes" status. I remember the song, though...because there was no way I was missing Casey Kasem's countdown show.

    And if Jennilee Harrison looked and acted like that on "Three's Company," she may not have been shuffled out of the apartment for Terri. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, straight laced Cindy Snow only lasted one season. I liked Nurse Terri though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was on for 2

      Delete
    2. That's right, she did overlap with Terri. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete