Sunday, June 17, 2012

#58 - We Don't Need Another Hero

Artist: Tina Turner
Album: Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Soundtrack
Video: From YouTube.

The owner of the most famous legs in show biz, Tina Turner was at the pinnacle of her commercial success in 1985.

Fresh off the heels of the multi-platinum album “Private Dancer”, Tina landed a role as the lead actress in “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome”.  One of her contributions to the soundtrack, “We Don’t Need Another Hero” shot all the way to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

With its insistent and driving chorus, the song has an anthemic quality.  I definitely enjoyed it, I even think I may have underrated it at the time.  And when I went to college at UC Santa Barbara, the basketball team played in a stadium known as "The Thunderdome".  So there was also that connection.

I didn’t see any of the Mad Max movies, I was more of a “Lethal Weapon” guy.  So I couldn’t really appreciate the scenes from the movie which comprise most of the video.  I didn’t even realize that she was one of the stars until I did research, as she doesn't appear in any of the film scenes.  That really is some getup she's wearing.  And those crazy earrings?!  Damn.

Finally, the video ends with a children’s choir joining in the chorus.  I think anytime you can add a children’s choir to a pop song, that is a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment