Wednesday, June 6, 2012

#67 - Oh Sheila

Artist: Ready For The World
Album: Ready For The World
Video: From YouTube.

When I first heard "Oh Sheila", I thought it was a Prince song.  It took me a while to figure out that it was a completely different band.

Ready For The World is an R&B band from Flint, Michigan.  The band recorded three top 40 singles in their career, all during the 80's.  They released a new album as recently as 2011. 

“Oh Sheila” made it all the way to the toppermost of the poppermost in 1985, reaching #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.  That surprises me, because I thought this song was just incredibly average.  I preferred “Digital Display” from the same album, which wasn’t even a top 20 hit.  The lyrics were much more imaginative and also a lot dirtier.

As for the video, it's pretty boring.  The band on stage in an empty concert hall.  Looks like they tried to spice things up with some clumsy cinematography tricks.  On the positive side, the band is wearing some dapper white suits.

In other blog news: there is a new poll!

No comments:

Post a Comment