Sunday, June 3, 2012

#70 - And We Danced

Artist: Hooters
Album: Nervous Night
Video: From YouTube.

This restaurant has the best chicken wings. Oh, not that "Hooters"?  My mistake....

These Hooters are a rock band from Philadelphia, and they achieved their first mainstream success in 1985.  Founding member Eric Bazilian wrote the Grammy nominated hit "One Of Us", most famously sung by Joan Osborne.

"And We Danced" just missed the top 20 in the U.S., peaking at #21 in the Billboard Hot 100. Only one Hooters song achieved greater chart success: "Day By Day", also from the "Nervous Night" album, reached #18.

I wasn't a fan of this song in 1985.  I'm not sure why, but now I realize I totally missed the boat.  Listening to it again today, "And We Danced" is thoroughly enjoyable.  It's a catchy, up-tempo rocker about a magical evening of romance.  "She was a bebop baby on a hard day's night"...good stuff.  I would love to know what that wind instrument is with the keyboard attachment in the opening notes.

The video includes live footage of the band performing at a Pennsylvania drive-in. We also see the crowd's antics in the concession stands and parking lot.  I found a really interesting story on the making of this video and I was going to link to it, but now the site is not accessible.  Too bad.  I can't be posting no broken links.

7 comments:

  1. I think the problem I had with this song in 1985 was that it was played so damned much. I didn't care for their hit before this one ("All You Zombies," which missed the Top 40) and really didn't care for this one, either.

    Like you, I can see some merit that I missed the first time around (see, I turned 13 that year and really didn't have much experience in the romance department). But I needed several years to get past the "played to death" phase.

    I did like "Day By Day," and a low-charting 1989 hit called "500 Miles."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the orange outfits. But, not the group. In a decade of great music, I give this song a c minus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been it Chris - too overplayed. I guess it took me 27 years of not hearing the song to really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it then; I like it now. Welcome to Club Hooters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the broken link was archived on the Wayback Machine? Don't tease us, man. http://archive.org/web/web.php

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, fine. This one should be reliable.

    http://billsmusicblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/and-we-danced-filming-hooters-video.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, the instrument played throughout the song is known as a Hooter (hence the name of the band...) it's a combination Keyboard/flute that when you blow into it and use the keys, it makes a hoot type sound!! just so you know!!

    ReplyDelete