Wednesday, June 13, 2012

#61 - The Big Money

Artist: Rush
Album: Power Windows
Video: From DailyMotion.

MTV referred to this song as "Big Money", although its correct title is "The Big Money".  It is the second consecutive song on this countdown to miss Billboard's top 40, peaking at #45.

The song’s title comes from a 1936 novel written by John Dos Passos, one of the great novelists and poets of the Lost Generation.  How progressive of Rush.

I respect Rush for their influence and craftsmanship over the course of a 40+ year career.  However, I am not a huge fan personally.  Their music has never really spoken to me.  I like a few of their songs though, “Tom Sawyer” in particular.

The video features computer graphics that were cutting edge for the time, but appear quite dated today.  The band is performing on a huge Monopoly board, which is awesome. 

But I think if a music video is going to feature Monopoly, they should totally commit to it.  I want to see the thimble, the wheelbarrow, the shoe and the racecar.  This guy should make an appearance...is that too much to ask?

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, "Subdivisions" is an awesome song by them as well.

    I grew up close to the Canadian border and listened to some stations from that coutry...so Rush was a part of the soundtrack of my youth.

    ReplyDelete