Tuesday, May 1, 2012

#100 - Cry


Artist: Godley and Creme
Album: The History Mix Volume 1
Video: Watch it here. This is from the video sharing website Daily Motion.




The MTV Top 100 kicked off with this distraught man, jowls quivering and chins jiggling. This video freaked me out when I saw it. I changed the channel as fast as I could, which back then probably involved sprinting across the room and turning a knob.

Kevin Godley and Lol Crème were among the founders of 10cc, most famous for the 1975 hit “I’m Not In Love”. They broke up in the late 80s.

Actually though, this video was cutting edge for 1985. It uses a technique called "analog cross-fading" to blend faces into one another. This foreshadows the digital morphing used in Michael Jackson’s 1991 video, “Black Or White”.

The entire video consists of faces, most of them trippy looking, singing along with the lyrics. Why is everybody so melancholy? Also, is that Mr. T at 00:46?

Next Up: #99.

No comments:

Post a Comment