Sunday, May 6, 2012

#95 - Rock 'n' Roll Girls

Artist: John Fogerty
Album: Centerfield
Video: No commercials!

After a nine year break from his music career, John Fogerty returned in 1985 to release the #1 album "Centerfield". He was the lead singer and guitarist from legendary '60s southern rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival. I was not aware of CCR in 1985, I didn't learn about them until the late 80s. Chronicle, Vol. 1 is great road trip music.

"Rock 'n' Roll Girls" was not as big a hit as the title track "Centerfield" and "The Old Man Down The Road", but it did reach #5 in the Billboard Hot 100 and was a very catchy tune. Nothing complex, a classic female appreciation song.

The video is another live performance. Love the auxiliary percussion section. Tamborine, maracas and what have you. Also a very small audience, only about 4 rows that I can see. Where did this take place, in an Elks Club?

Other blog stuff: The link that I provided at the beginning of this blog, with the list of the top 100 video of 1985 according to MTV, appears to be broken. Sorry about that. Here is another list.

Birthdays: Going with a couple of sports birthdays. Willie Mays is 81 years old today. And on this day in 1985, NBA All-Star point guard Chris Paul was born! Go Clips! (by that I mean, go just far enough to lose to the Lakers in the conference finals).

3 comments:

  1. Just a quick correction on a couple of things...

    "Rock & Roll Girls" peaked at #20, not #5.
    As for the song "Centerfield," it missed the Top 40 entirely, peaking at #44.

    I've featured both of those songs on my own blog. Here are the links:

    http://80smusicmayhem.blogspot.com/2011/08/john-fogerty-rock-and-roll-girls.html

    http://80smusicmayhem.blogspot.com/2012/03/john-fogerty-centerfield.html

    I'm still surprised that "Centerfield" stalled outside the Top 40. As a baseball fan, I've always liked that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, thanks for keeping me honest. "Rock 'n' Roll Girls" peaked at #5 on the Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart, not the Hot 100. That's what I get for looking at the wrong column on Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the small audience: I seem to remember at the time they said it had been filmed at a small gathering of employees from his record company that he was showcasing his new material for.

    ReplyDelete